The 2012 Canadian Open women’s qualifying singles event began on Saturday 4 August at 10am local time in Montreal, Quebec in Canada. In this post the full women’s qualifying singles draw will be listed below plus a number of interesting facts about the qualifying, including how this draw works and how the WTA ranking points are allocated.
There are 56 players in the qualifying draw divided up between 11 Wild Cards (WC) and 45 Direct Acceptances vying for eight spots in the singles main draw. There are 16 seeds in the qualifying draw that have ALL been separated from each other as they are seeded to be the players who do qualify, so only meet each other in “The Qualifying Round”. The Qualifying Round is the final round that decides which 8 players qualify for the main singles draw.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage. To watch the tennis in Singapore you need to add 12 hours to the local time in Montreal to work out the equivalent Singapore time for the daily 2012 Canadian Open Order of Play.
The cut-off date for acceptances into the 2012 Canadian Open qualifying singles draw was 18 June 2012, which means players were accepted into the qualifying draw according to their ranking on that day. To determine whom the 16 seeds are in the qualifying event, the rankings released on Monday 30 July 2012 were used to identify the seeds (and not the rankings at the time of qualifying on June 18th). Two seeds withdrew after the draw was made i.e No.2 and No.16, which is why there is a No.17 and No.18 seed in the draw below.
A seeded player occupies one of every four spots in the qualifying draw. The qualifying draws are different to main draws because these events do not play off until there is one undefeated player. Therefore, the No.1 seed and the No.2 seed are not separated at the opposite ends of the draw. Unless a player receives a 1st round bye, players must win three best-of-three tiebreak set matches in a row in order to qualify.
Each player that qualifies for the singles main draw earns 30 WTA ranking points. If a qualifier loses in the 1st round of the main draw she earns 35 points (30+5), 30 points for qualifying plus the five main draw 1st round points. A player who starts in the 1st round i.e. a direct acceptance or a wild card recipient, only receives five ranking points if she loses her 1st round match.
A qualifier earns the ranking points that are awarded for the round she makes it through to, plus her 30 points she earned for qualifying throughout the tournament. For example, a qualifier who wins the 1st round of the main draw and then gets knocked out in the 2nd round earns 80 points for making the 2nd round plus 30 points for qualifying. Thus, a qualifier who loses in the 2nd round earns 110 ranking points in total.
If a direct acceptance withdraws from the event, then a “Lucky Loser” i.e. a player who loses in the final round of qualifying will be awarded a place in the singles main draw. A Lucky Loser who loses in the 1st round of the main draw earns 20 points from the qualifying event in addition to the points allocated per round e.g. a 1st round loss by a Lucky Loser equals 20 plus 5, for a total of 25.
The 2012 Canadian Open Women’s qualifying singles draw is:
- Urszula RADWANKSA  v BYE
- Gabriele DABROWSKI v Melanie OUDIN
- Ashley WEINHOLD v Tamarine TANASUGARN
- Sharon FICHMAN v  Anna TATISHVILI
- Irina FALCONI  v BYE
- Alicja ROSOLSKA v [WC] Francoise ABANDA
- Katalin MAROSI [WC] v [WC] Marianne JODOIN
- Lena LITVAK v  Sesil KARATANTCHEVA
- Galina VOSKOBOEVA  v BYE
- Danielle MILLS [WC] v Olga SAVCHUK
- Marie-Eve PELLETIER v Aravane REZAI
- Tori KINARD [WC] v  Julia COHEN
- Barbora ZAHLAVOVA STRYCOVA  v BYE
- Michelle LARCHER DE BRITO v Kristina MLADENOVIC
- CHANG Kai-Chen v Jill CRAYBAS
- Sonja MOLNAR [WC] v  Mirjana LUCIC
- Iveta BENESOVA  v BYE
- Megan MOULTON-LEVY [WC] v [WC] Erin ROUTLIFFE
- Madison BRENGLE v BYE
- Jana CEPELOVA v  Mandy MINELLA
- Aranxta RUS  v BYE
- Estrella CABEZA CANDELA v [WC] Carol ZHAO
- Anastasia RODIONOVA v Bethanie MATTEK-SANDS
- Jennifer ELIE [WC] v  Vera DUSHEVINA
- Timea BABOS  v Natalie GRANDIN
- Maria SANCHEZ v Lauren DAVIS
- Alla KUDRYAVTSEVA v [WC] Darija JURAK
- Julia BOSERUP v  Johanna LARSSON
- Bojana JOVANOVSKI  v Alexa GLATCH
- Misaki DOI v Eleni DANIILIDOU
- ZHANG Shuai v BYE
- Vladimira UHLIROVA v  Kiki BERTENS
Photo credit: globalite