The 2012 Shanghai Open men’s tennis championships are the eighth ATP Tour Masters 1000 category tournament of 2012 and the ninth MAJOR tournament of the “BIG 14″ tournaments for the men’s professional tennis tour each year. In this post how the ATP ranking points, prize money are allocated and what the schedule of play is so YOU can follow, watch and/or attend this tournament.
The Shanghai men’s singles draw is being played at the Qi Zhong Tennis Center in the southwest Shanghai district of Minhang in China and begins with the 28-player qualifying singles draw on Saturday 6 October. The Men’s Singles Final will be played on Sunday 14 October. The total financial commitment for the 2012 tournament is US$5,891,600, with the total prize money for the men’s singles event being $3,531,600.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage. To watch the tennis in Singapore you can follow the exact same times as listed in this daily 2012 Shanghai Order of Play.
Please note that the tournament management can alter the schedule from day to day.
The ATP ranking points and prize money for the men’s tournament is awarded to the players like this:
- The winner earns 1,000 points + $669,450;
- The runner-up earns 600 points + $328,260;
- The two semi finalists earn 360 + $165,210;
- The four quarter finalists earn 180 + $84,000;
- The 8 players who lose in the round of 16 earn 90 + $43,625;
- The 16 players who lose in the 2nd round earn 45 + $23,000;
- The *28 players who lose in the 1st round earn 10 points + $12,420;
- The 7 players who qualify earn 25 points for qualifying;
- The 7 players who lose in the final round of qualifying earn 16 points +$2,860;
- The 14 players who lose in the 1st round of qualifying receive $1,460 but DO NOT earn any ranking points.
The schedule of play for the entire 2012 Shanghai Open men’s singles draw is:
- Saturday 6 October: Qualifying Draw 1st round from 11am;
- Sunday 7 October: Qualifying 2nd round from 12 noon;
- Sunday 7 October: Main Draw 1st round from 4pm;
- Monday 8 October: 1st round from 1pm and 6pm;
- Tuesday 9 October: 2nd round from 1pm and 6pm;
- Wednesday 10 October: 2nd round from 1pm and 6pm;
- Thursday 11 October: Round of 16 from 1pm and 6pm;
- Friday 12 October: Quarter Finals from 1pm and 6pm;
- Saturday 13 October: Semi Finals from 4:30pm then 8pm ; and
- Sunday 14 October: Men’s Singles Finals at 4pm.
*The points awarded to a 1st round loser vary according to how they were allocated a place in the 1st round.
Did you know that if any of the 8 seeded players who lose their first match after being given a bye into the 2nd round are treated as a 1st round loser for ranking points allocation purposes i.e. they receive 10 points for losing their first match?
Photo credit: ethanecool