The 3rd round singles matches in the top half of the draw has just been completed in the men’s singles event at the US Open. The bottom half of the draws 3rd round match ups will begin on Sunday 6 September at 11am New York time.
At the 2009 US Open the top 16 seeds have all won through to the 3rd round for the 1st time in Open-era history at any Grand Slam singles tournament! The 4th round or round of 16 is where the top 16 seeded players are deliberately positioned in the draw to meet and play-off against each other.
The following is the list of players who are still undefeated, who they play next and which part of the draw they are in.
The top half of the draws round of 16 match ups are:
- (1) Roger Federer versus (14) Tommy Robredo
- (12) Robin Soderling v. (8) Nikolay Davydenko
(4) Novak Djokovic v. (15) Radek Stepanek
(10) Fernando Verdasco v. John Isner (5) Roddick
In the top half of the draw 7 of the 8 seeds made it through, with direct acceptance John Isner (World No.55) beating Andy Roddick in a thriller by 7 points to 5 in the 5th and final set tie-break.
Pictured above is Tommy Robredo of Spain who has now made the 4th round at the US Open for the 6th time. Robredo has a career high ranking of No.5. He is a consistent performer and will need to best at his best to break Federer’s streak of 8 straight victories in their previous meetings, before he can make his 1st quarter final in New York.
The 27 year old Robredo is demonstrating exactly how to control the racquet head and lengthen your hitting zone with this great one handed backhand ground stroke.
- (7) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga v. Julien Benneteau (30) Troicki
- (18) Tomas Berdych v. (11) Fernando Gonzalez
- (13) Gael Monfils v. Jose Acasuso (19) Ferrer
- (32) Nicolas Almagro v. (3) Rafael Nadal
- (6) Juan Martin del Potro v. Daniel Koellerer (25) Fish
- (24) Juan Carlos Ferrero v. (9) Gilles Simon
- (16) Marin Cilic v. Denis Istomin (19) Wawrinka
- (27) Karlovic (WC) Taylor Dent v. (2) Andy Murray
Stay tuned to this tennis website for further updates about the 2009 US Open singles events. Click this link to see an index of all 2009 US Open posts -> US Open 2009: Aug 25 – Sep 14.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2009
photo credit: kyle tsui