The 2013 US Open tennis championships are the 11th MAJOR tournament of the “BIG 14″ tournaments on the women’s professional tennis tour each year. The US Open is also commonly known as “THE Open” and is held in New York in the USA.
In this post OnCourt Advantage details how the WTA ranking points, prize money are allocated and what the schedule of play is so YOU can follow, watch and/or attend this tournament. To watch the tennis in Singapore add 12 hours to the New York local times listed below.
The total financial commitment for the 2013 US Open tournament was released on 14 December 2012 at a new record-high of 29.5 million US dollars. In 2012 the total was 25.526 million whereas in 2011 it was 23.718 million. The USTA is currently in consultation with the ATP World Tour, the WTA and their players about how the prize money will be distributed round by round. Listed below is the 2012 round-by-round allocation, which will be updated to the 2013 figures as soon as they are finalised.
The women’s event begins on Tuesday 20 August with the qualifying singles draw and the Women’s Singles Final will be played on Sunday 8 September. The centre court is called Arthur Ashe Stadium and seats 23,700 spectators. The US Championships were first held in 1881 and have been played at the current venue since 1978, making 2013 the 36th year at Flushing Meadows.
The WTA ranking points and prize money is awarded to the players like this:
- The winner earns 2,000 points + $1,900,000;
- The runner-up earns 1,400 points + $950,000;
- The two semi finalists earn 900 points + $475,000;
- The four quarter finalists earn 500 points + $237,500;
- The 8 players who lose in the round of 16 earn 280 points + $120,000;
- The 16 players who lose in the 3rd round earn 160 points + $65,000;
- The 32 players who lose in the 2nd round earn 100 points + $37,000;
- The *players who lose in the 1st round earn 5 points + $23,000.
Please note that the tournament management can alter the schedule from day to day.
The schedule of play for the 2013 women’s singles event at the US Open is:
- Tuesday 20 August: Qualifying 1st round at 11am;
- Wednesday 21 August: Qualifying 1st round at 11am
- Thursday 22 August: Qualifying 2nd round at 11am;
- Friday 23 August: Qualifying 3rd round at 11am;
- Monday 26 August: Main Draw at 11am and 7pm;
- Tuesday 27 August: 1st round at 11am and 7pm;
- Wednesday 28 August: 2nd round at 11am and 7pm;
- Thursday 29 August: 2nd round at 11am and 7pm;
- Friday 30 August: 3rd round at 11am and 7pm;
- Saturday 31 August: 3rd round at 11am and 7pm;
- Sunday 1 September: Round of 16 at 11am and 7pm;
- Monday 2 September: Round of 16 at 11am and 7pm;
- Tuesday 3 September: Quarter Finals at 11am and 7pm;
- Wednesday 4 September: Quarter Finals at 11am and 7pm;
- Thursday 5 September: No women’s singles matches today;
- Friday 6 September: Semi Finals from 1:45pm;
- Saturday 7 September: No women’s singles today;
- Sunday 8 September: Women’s Singles Final at 4:30pm.
*The points awarded to a 1st round loser vary according to how they were allocated a place in the 1st round.
For further details about the different rankings points allocations for different situations for 1st round losers and for players who gain entry into the main draw from the qualifying event you will be able to click here once the following post is completed-> US Open 2013 Women’s Qualifying Singles Draw.
Photo credit: jamesboyes