The 2010 Roland Garros men’s main draw singles 1st round matches is almost complete. Just 1 match is unfinished from the 64 1st round matches. The 2nd round matches will begin today Wednesday 26 May and be held over 2 days beginning at 11am local time in Paris, France each day.
UPDATED RESULTS: see the draw below. The remaining 16 2nd round matches that make up the bottom half of the draw will be played on Thursday 27 May. There are also 4 unfinished matches from the top half of the draw to be completed as well. Last updated Thursday 27 May at 1:50pm Paris time.
From the initial 240 men playing at Roland Garros this year (112 main draw + 128 qualifiers), only 64 players remain. 27 of the 32 seeds survived the 1st round, so look for a number of seeds to be knocked out in the 2nd round.
3 of the 8 wild cards won their 1st round matches, whilst the qualifiers performed very well as 7 of the 12 qualifiers won. Grega Zemlja from Slovenia won his 1st ever Grand Slam singles match.
The 23 year old Zemlja was the only qualifier to beat a seeded player, so caused the biggest upset thus far. The 1.83m Zemlja defeated No.26 seed Juan Monaco and now plays another qualifier for a spot in the 3rd round.
Today the entire 16 2nd round matches for the top half of the draw will be played, plus 1 unfinished 1st round match in which Xavier Malisse leads Simon Greul by 2 sets to love. UPDATE: Malisse won 6-4, 7-6 (9-7), 6-4.
Defending champion Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Robin Soderling and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga will all be in action today. Federer, Rafael Nadal and Djokovic are involved in a 3 way race for the World No.1 ranking at the end of this event.
Pictured above is the 23 year old Djokovic after making contact with the ball with his double handed backhand drive. The 1.88m Serbian knows how to win a Grand Slam event and has beaten both Federer and Nadal many times before. Will Djokovic become the 25th man to become World No.1 and win Roland Garros?
Djokovic has beaten Federer 5 times including the last time they played, which was in front of Federer’s home town in Basel, Switzerland. The 2007 and 2008 Roland Garros semi finalist has beaten Nadal 7 times, including the past 3 times in a row.
The matches numbered from No.1 to 16 in the draw below are scheduled to be played today, whilst the bottom half of the draw i.e matches 17 to 32 will be played tomorrow.
In Grand Slam singles tournaments the two halves of the draw are played on alternate days for the majority of the tournament. Each of the Grand Slam events uses their own schedule of when both halves of the draw start playing on the same day. At Roland Garros this is not until the semi final stage.
The players name that is bolded is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match. Any player who has a line drawn through their name is a seeded player who was expected to win through to the 3rd round.
The 2010 Roland Garros 2nd round men’s singles draw is:
- (1) Federer d. Alejandro Falla 7-6 (7-4), 6-2, 6-4
- (27) Lopez (Q) Julian Reister d. Olivier Rochus 6-2, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
- (20) Wawrinka d. Andreas Beck 6-1, 6-4, 6-4
- Fabio Fognini v. (13) Monfils unfinished…
- (10) Cilic d. Daniel Gimeno-Traver 6-3, 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
- Leonardo Mayer d. Julien Benneteau (23) Gulbis6-7 (4-7), 6-3, 6-4, 6-4
- (29) Montanes d. (Q) Tobias Kamke 6-3, 6-2, 6-1
- (5) Soderling d. Taylor Dent 6-0, 6-1, 6-1
- (4) Murray v. Juan Ignacio Chela unfinished…
- Marcel Granollers v. (25) Baghdatis unfinished…
- (17) Isner v. Marco Chiudinelli unfinished…
- (15) Berdych d. (WC) Edouard Roger-Vasellin 7-5, 6-1, 6-4
- (11) Youzhny d. Lukas Lacko 6-7 (8-10), 6-3, 6-3, 6-2
- (21) Robredo Viktor Troicki d. (WC) Carsten Ball 6-4, 6-3, 6-3
- Thiemo De Bakker d. (32) Garcia-Lopez 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
- (8) Tsonga d. (Q) Josselin Ouanna 6-0, 6-1, 6-4
- (6) Roddick v. Blaz Kavcic
- (Q) Teimuraz Gabashvili v. (Q) Grega Zemlja (26) Monaco
- (22) Melzer v. (WC) Nicolas Mahut
- Xavier Malisse v. (9) Ferrer
- (16) Ferrero v. Pere Riba
- Potito Starace v. Robby Ginepri (18) Querrey
- (31) Hanescu v. (Q) Yuri Schukin
- Kei Nishikori v. (3) Djokovic
- (7) Verdasco v. Florent Serra
- Andreas Seppi v. (30) Kohlschreiber
- (19) Almagro v. Steve Darcis
- Oleksandr Dolgopolov Jnr v. (12) Gonzalez
- (14) Ljubicic v. Mardy Fish
- (Q) Pablo Andujar v. (24) Thomaz Bellucci
- (28) Lleyton Hewitt v. Denis Istomen
- Horacio Zeballos v. (2) Nadal
Stay tuned to this tennis website for further information about the Roland Garros Championships for both the men’s and women’s events. Click this link for more details -> Roland Garros: French Open 2010 May 18 – June 6.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010
photo credit: Christian Mesiano