The 2014 Australian Open women’s championships was first held in 1905. The Australian Open Grand Slam tournament is being played for the 42nd straight year in Melbourne after changing venues and locations around Australia prior to that.
Below OnCourt Advantage details what the schedule of play is for every day i.e. what time play commences, which round is being played and if the women have a day off so you can follow, watch and/or attend this tournament.
The 25-year-old Victoria Azarenka is pictured on the left with the Daphne Akhurst Memorial Cup trophy after winning back-to-back titles in Melbourne.
The 1.83m Azarenka captured her second Grand Slam singles title in her third Grand Slam final by defeating Li Na 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 in 2 hours and 40 minutes.
This victory further improved the Belarusian’s stellar career record at the Australian Open to 28-6 with her only losses at Melbourne Park in the past six years against 2011 runner-up Li Na and Serena Williams (2008-2010).
The schedule of play for the 2014 Australian Open Women’s Singles event is:
- Thursday 9 January: Qualifying 1st round at 10am;
- Friday 10 January: Qualifying 2nd round at 10am;
- Saturday 11 January: Qualifying 3rd round at 10am;
- Monday 13 January: Main Draw 1st round from 11am and 7pm;
- Tuesday 14 January: 1st round from 11am and 7pm;
- Wednesday 15 January: 2nd round from 11am and 7pm;
- Thursday 16 January: 2nd round from 11am and 7pm;
- Friday 17 January: 3rd round from 11am and 7pm;
- Saturday 18 January: 3rd round from 11am and 7pm;
- Sunday 19 January: Round of 16 from 11am and 7pm;
- Monday 20 January: Round of 16 from 11am and 7:30pm;
- Tuesday 21 January: Quarter Finals from 11am and 7:30pm;
- Wednesday 22 January: Quarter Finals from 11am and 7:30pm;
- Thursday 23 January: Semi Finals back-to-back from 1:30pm;
- Friday 24 January: No women’s singles matches; and
- Saturday 25 January: Women’s Singles Final at 7:30pm.
© photo credit: Australian Open