The 2014 Australian Open men’s championships mark the 102nd time it will be held. The Australian Open Grand Slam tournament is being played on the True Blue Plexicushion hard courts at Melbourne Park for the 27th time since moving from Kooyong on natural grass courts, also in Melbourne, Australia. To watch the tennis in Singapore subtract 3 hours from the Melbourne local times listed below.
Below OnCourt Advantage details how the ATP ranking points and prize money are allocated for each round, plus what the schedule of play is for every day, to make it much easier for YOU to follow, watch and/or attend this tournament.
The Australian Open is the 1st MAJOR tournament of the “BIG 14″ tournaments for the men’s professional tennis tour each year. The 2013 Australian Open was a HUGE success again with 684,457 attending, narrowly missing out (1,549 less) on the 2012 attendance record of 686,006.
The men’s qualifying singles event begins on Wednesday 8 January and the Men’s Singles Final will be played on Sunday 26 January.
The ATP ranking points and prize money is awarded to the players in the following way:
- The winner earns 2,000 points + $2,430,000;
- The runner-up earns 1,200 points + $1,215,000;
- The two semi finalists earn 720 points + $500,000;
- The four quarter finalists earn 360 points + $250,000;
- The 8 players who lose in the round of 16 earn 180 points + $125,000;
- The 16 players who lose in the 3rd round earn 90 points + $71,000;
- The 32 players who lose in the 2nd round earn 45 points + $45,500;
- The *players who lose in the 1st round earn 10 points + $27,600.
*The points awarded to a 1st round loser vary according to how they were allocated a place in the 1st round.
For further details about the different rankings points allocations for different situations for 1st round losers and for players who gain entry into the main draw from the qualifying event you will be able to click here once the following post is completed-> Australian Open 2014 Men’s Singles Draw: Qualifying.
The schedule of play for the 2014 Australian Open Men’s Singles event is:
- Wednesday 8 January: Qualifying 1st round at 10am;
- Thursday 9 January: Qualifying 1st round at 10am;
- Friday 10 January: Qualifying 2nd round at 10am;
- Saturday 11 January: Qualifying 3rd round at 10am;
- Monday 13 January: Main Draw 1st round from 11am and 7pm;
- Tuesday 14 January: 1st round from 11am and 7pm;
- Wednesday 15 January: 2nd round from 11am and 7pm;
- Thursday 16 January: 2nd round from 11am and 7pm;
- Friday 17 January: 3rd round from 11am and 7pm;
- Saturday 18 January: 3rd round from 11am and 7pm;
- Sunday 19 January: Round of 16 from 11am and 7pm;
- Monday 20 January: Round of 16 from 11am and 7:30pm;
- Tuesday 21 January: Quarter Finals from 11am and 7:30pm;
- Wednesday 22 January: Quarter Finals from 11am and 7:30pm;
- Thursday 23 January: 1st Semi Final at 7:30pm;
- Friday 24 January: 2nd Semi Final at 7:30pm;
- Saturday 25 January: No men’s matches today; and
- Sunday 26 January: Men’s Singles Final at 7:30pm.
© photo credit: HEAD Tennis