The 2011 Australian Open men’s main draw singles 2nd round matches have now been completed. The 1st round began with 128 players in action, 32 of them were seeded players, 16 were Qualifiers (Q) and 8 were Wild Cards (WC). Tomorrow the bottom half of the draw’s 8 matches will be played i.e. No.2 seed Roger FEDERER’s half of the draw.
On Saturday 22 January the top half of the draw’s eight 3rd round matches will be played i.e. No.1 seed Rafael NADAL’s half of the draw. In the 3rd round only 32 players remain in contention for the title. Of the 32 seeds a further 7 seeds were upset in the 2nd round to make it 10 so far, leaving 22 seeds, including all of the Top 15.
If you need any further details about the AUSTRALIAN OPEN or wish to make suggestions to be added and/or improved on this site, then please leave a comment. If you need help buying Australian Open tickets click here. To follow this site in real time on Twitter click-> @OnCourtAd. To join the friends of this site on Facebook click-> OnCourt Advantage.
After the 2nd round the sole remaining wild card and Australian – Bernard TOMIC, continues his run by defeating No.31 seed Feliciano Lopez. Five qualifiers of the remaining 7 were defeated in the 2nd round leaving two great efforts in registering their 5th straight match-win. Canadian Milos RAONIC took out No.22 seed Michael Llodra and Jan HERNYCH triumphed 8-6 in the 5th against No.30 Tomaz Bellucci.
The surnames that are bolded in the list below are the players who are playing in the 3rd round. Any player whose name is italicised, has his first name removed and has his surname in lower case letters is a seeded player who was expected to win through to the 3rd round.The number in brackets that is added to a players’ name denotes they are a seeded player and what their seeding is.
The 2011 Australian Open men’s singles draw for the 3rd round is:
- Rafael NADAL (1) v (WC) TOMIC, Bernard (31) Lopez
- John ISNER (20) v (15) CILIC, Marin
- Mikhail YOUZHNY (10) v (Q) RAONIC, Milos (22) Llodra
- (27) Nalbandian Ricardo BERANKIS v (7) FERRER, David
- Robin SODERLING (4) v (Q) HERNYCH, Jan (30) Bellucci
- (24) Gulbis Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV v (13) TSONGA, Jo-Wilfried
- Jurgen MELZER (11) v (21) BAGHDATIS, Marcos
- Guillermo GARCIA-LOPEZ (32) v (5) MURRAY, Andy
The bottom half of the draw is:
- Tomas BERDYCH (6) v (28) GASQUET, Richard
- (23) Davydenko Kei NISHIKORI v (9) VERDASCO, Fernando
- Nicolas ALMAGRO (14) v (17) LJUBICIC, Ivan
- Viktor TROICKI (29) v (3) DJOKOVIC, Novak
- Andy RODDICK (8) v HAASE, Robin (26) Monaco
- Stanislas WAWRINKA (19) v (12) MONFILS, Gael
- (16) Fish Tommy ROBREDO v STAKHOVSKY, Sergiy (18) Querrey
- (25) Montanes Xavier MALISSE v (2) FEDERER, Roger
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about the Australian Open -> Australian Open 2011: January 12-30.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2011
photo credit: Keith Allison