The 2011 Australian Open Women’s singles main draw is made up of direct acceptances, qualifiers and wild cards. The wild cards are the topic of today’s post as one of the women’s wild cards will be awarded to the winner of the Australian women-only round robin tournament.
The 2011 Australian Open knockout tournament runs through to the Women’s Singles Final this Sunday 19 December. This wild card tournament begins today with 16 women battling it out in 4 groups of 4 players. The winner of each group will qualify for the semi finals knockout draw. The first of three round robin matches for each player begins today at 9:45am in Melbourne, Australia at Melbourne Park.
There are 8 seeds who have been separated into the 4 groups with the Top 4 all separated from each other. The No.1 seed Alicia Molik (pictured above at the 2010 Australian Open), has the lowest seed from No.5 to 8 added to her group i.e. the No.8 seed. The No.2 seed has the next lowest seeded added to her group i.e. No.7 seed and so it follows for the 3rd seed joined by No.6 and the No.4 seed joined by the No.5 seed.
The Top 8 seeds are:
- Alicia Molik
- Sophie Ferguson
- Jelena Dokic
- Jessica Moore
- Olivia Rogowska
- Tammi Patterson
- Sophie Letcher
- Isabella Holland
The 4 groups are:
- Blue: (1) Alicia Molik, (7) Sophie Letcher, Allison Bai, Jade Hopper
- Green: (2) Sophie Ferguson, (8) Isabella Holland, Monika Wejnert, Ashling Sumner
- Magenta: (3) Jelena Dokic, (6) Tammi Patterson, Viktorija Rajicic, Ashleigh Barty
- Yellow: (4) Jessica Moore, (5) Olivia Rogowska, Belinda Woolcock & Azra Hadzic
The 2011 Australian Open wild card play-off women’s singles results on Day 1 are:
- Blue: (1) Alicia Molik defeated Jade Hopper 6-1 6-0
- Blue: Alison Bai def. (7) Sophie Letcher 6-3 6-0
- Green: (2) Sophie Ferguson def. Monika Wejnert 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 6-3
- Green: (8) Isabella Holland def. Ashling Sumner 6-4 7-5
- Magenta: (3) Jelena Dokic def. Viktorija Rajicic 6-2 6-2
- Magenta: (6) Tammi Patterson def. Ashleigh Barty 6-4 6-3
- Yellow: (4) Jessica Moore def. Azra Hadzic 6-4 6-2
- Yellow: (5) Olivia Rogowska def. Belinda Woolcock 6-3 6-3
For more details about the 2011 Australian Open, the prize money and ranking points awarded for each round and the schedule of play for the entire tournament click here.
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about the Australian Open 2011: January 12-30.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010
photo credit: Jayegirl99