The 2011 Sydney International women’s main draw singles matches will begin on Sunday 9 January October at 10am local time in Sydney, Australia. There are 30 main draw spots divided up between 6 Qualifiers (Q), 2 Wild Cards (WC) and 22 Direct Acceptances.
The Sydney International is a WTA Premier category tournament. Sydney is the second WTA tournament played in Australia on the 2011 women’s professional tennis tour. This tournament is held at the Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre in New South Wales on blue Plexicushion Prestige hard courts.
To see the FULL 2011 Women’s Schedule of Play, prize money and WTA ranking points earned per round plus more details about the qualifying event, click HERE.
The Women’s Singles Final will be played on centre court on Saturday 14 January at 7:30pm. Centre court is called Ken Rosewall Arena and it has a seating capacity of 10,000. The total prize money for the 2011 Sydney International women’s singles event is 618,000 US dollars.
In a 32-player sized draw there are 8 seeded players. There are 30 players in the draw, which means ONLY the Top 2 seeds have a BYE in the 1st round. The Top 2 seeds await the 14 winners of the 1st round matches in the last 16. The 2 wild cards were awarded to Australian duo Jelena Dokic and Anastasia Rodionova.
One of the initial direct acceptance spots will go to a Lucky Loser (LL) due to the withdrawal of Ana Ivanovic who suffered an abdominal strain at the Hopman Cup this week. So far there are 7 spots listed for qualifiers in the draw below but one of those will be awarded to a lucky loser OR possibly a third wild card.
Pictured above is current World No.1 Caroline Wozniacki preparing to serve during her straight sets victory over Li Na this Wednesday at the Hong Tennis Classic. The 20-year-old from Denmark defeated Li in straight sets in whereas in Sydney last year Wozniacki lost in the 1st round to Li.
The 1.77m Wozniacki will be looking to serve it up to her opponents and her critics in Sydney and Melbourne. The 2009 US Open singles runner-up has a huge opportunity to take a huge ranking points lead on the other top women with a strong performance in Sydney .
The 2011 Sydney International women’s singles possible quarter final match-ups according to seeding are:
- (1) Caroline Wozniacki versus (5) Francesca Schiavone
- (3) Kim Clijsters v (7) Victoria Azarenka
- (8) Li Na v (4) Samantha Stosur
- (6) Jelena Jankovic v (2) Vera Zvonareva
The 2011 Sydney International draw for the women’s singles event is:
- (1) Caroline Wozniacki v BYE
- Maria Kirilenko v Dominika Cibulkova
- Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez v Daniela Hantuchova
- Alisa Kleybanova v (5) Francesca Schiavone
- (3) Kim Clijsters v Alexandra Dulgheru
- (Q) Barbora Zahlavova Strycova v Nadia Petrova
- (LL) Sybille Bammer v Shahar Peer
- (Q) Ekaterina Makarova v (7) Victoria Azarenka
- (8) Li Na v (WC) Anastasia Rodionova
- (Q) Sandra Zahlavova v (Q) Virginie Razzano
- Svetlana Kuznetsova v (WC) Jelena Dokic
- Yanina Wickmayer v (4) Samantha Stosur
- (6) Jelena Jankovic v Aravane Rezai
- Kaia Kanepi v (Q) Bojana Jovanovski
- Flavia Pennetta v (Q) Lucie Hradecka
- BYE v (2) Vera Zvonareva
The 48-player qualifying tournament began yesterday and will be completed tomorrow. As soon as these qualifying matches are completed the spots in the above draw will be filled in with the 4 qualifiers names. Additionally, once the lucky loser spot is known, that player’s name will be added to this draw. The lucky loser will be the highest seeded player who loses in the final round of the qualifying event.
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA and ATP Tours. Click this link for details about the Australian Open-> Australian Open 2011: January 12-30.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2011
Photo credit: www.OnCourtAdvantage.com