The 2012 St. Petersburg Open men’s main draw singles hard-court event began on Monday 17 September at 5pm local time. In this post a number of interesting facts about the men’s singles main draw will be provided, the full singles draw and what the projected quarter finals match-ups are will be listed.
St. Petersburg is one of the ATP Tour 250 Tournaments each year and has 32 players vying for the title, a maximum of 250 ATP ranking points and US$70,365 in prize money for the winner. There are 32 main draw spots divided up between 4 Qualifiers [Q], 3 Wild Cards [WC] and 25 Direct Acceptances. If any players withdraw from the event after the draw is made they will be replaced by Lucky Losers [LL].
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage. To watch the tennis in Singapore you need to add 12 hours to the local time in St. Petersburg to work out the equivalent Singapore time in the daily 2012 St. Petersburg Order of Play and Results.
The Seeds: In a 32-player sized draw there are 8 seeded players. The 8 seeded players all play two rounds against lower ranked opponents who are unseeded, before they can meet another seed in the quarter finals.
The seeding is allocated to the 8 highest ranked players according to the latest ATP rankings BEFORE the draw is made and these latest rankings were released on Monday 10 September.
The 8 seeds were ranked from World No.29 Mikhail YOUZHNY through to No.71 Jurgen ZOPP. The last direct acceptance into the main draw was Matthias BACHINGER of Germany who was ranked No.118 at the cut-off date.
The Wild Cards: the three wild card recipients were all Russians: Evgeny DONSKOY, Mikhail ELGIN and Teymuraz GABASHVILI.
The Qualifiers: The 20-player qualifying tournament sets the task of winning 3 best-of-three tiebreak set matches in order to qualify for the main draw, unless you where one of the players who received a 1st round bye in the 32-sized draw. These four players who qualified were three Belarusians Sergey BETOV, Nikolai FIDIRKO and Andrei VASILEVSKI and Russian Andrey KUMANTSOV.
The draw for the seeded players IF they all win through to the quarter finals is:
- Mikhail YOUZHNY  v  Guillermo GARCIA-LOPEZ
- Martin KLIZAN  v  Jurgen ZOPP
- LU Yen-Hsun  v  Fabio FOGNINI
- Lukas LACKO  v  Denis ISTOMIN
The 2012 St. Petersburg Open men’s singles draw is:
- Mikhail YOUZHNY  v Vasek POSPISIL
- Matthias BACHINGER v Rajeev RAM
- Sergey BETOV [Q] v Paolo LORENZI
- Evgeny DONSKOY [WC] v  Guillermo GARCIA-LOPEZ
- Martin KLIZAN  v [WC] Mikhail ELGIN
- Simone BOLELLI v Horacio ZEBALLOS
- Philipp PETZSCHNER v Ricardas BERANKIS
- Andrey KUMANTSOV [Q] v  Jurgen ZOPP
The bottom half of the draw is:
- LU Yen-Hsun  v Roberto BAUTISTA-AGUT
- Teymuraz GABASHVILI [WC] v [Q] Nikolai FIDIRKO
- Andreev replaced by Ivan NEDELKO [LL] v Sergiy STAKHOVSKY
- Tobias KAMKE v  Fabio FOGNINI
- Lukas LACKO  v Grega ZEMLJA
- Flavio CIPOLLA v [Q] Andrei VASILEVSKI
- Florent SERRA v Daniel GIMENO-TRAVER
- Lukasz KUBOT v  Denis ISTOMIN
Photo credit: mbevis