The 2012 Metz Open men’s main draw singles hard-court event began on Monday 17 September at 8pm local time. The official name of Metz due to title sponsorship naming rights is the Moselle Open. In this post a number of interesting facts about the men’s singles main draw will be provided, the full singles draw and what the projected quarter finals match-ups are will be listed.
Metz is one of the ATP Tour 250 Tournaments each year and has 28 players vying for the title, a maximum of 250 ATP ranking points and US$71,900 in prize money for the winner. There are 32 main draw spots divided up between 4 Qualifiers [Q], 3 Wild Cards [WC], 21 Direct Acceptances and 4 Bye’s. If any players withdraw from the event after the draw is made they will be replaced by Lucky Losers [LL].
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage. To watch the tennis in Singapore you need to add 6 hours to the local time in Metz to work out the equivalent Singapore time in the daily 2012 Metz Order of Play and Results.
The Seeds: In a 32-player sized draw there are 8 seeded players. As mentioned, Metz allocates four bye’s with one going to each of the Top 4 seeds. The seeded players from No.5 to No.8 play two rounds against lower ranked opponents who are unseeded, before they can meet another seed in the quarter finals. The Top 4 seeds play one match against a lower ranked opponent who is unseeded for a place in the quarter finals.
The seeding is allocated to the 8 highest ranked players according to the latest ATP rankings BEFORE the draw is made and these latest rankings were released on Monday 10 September.
The 8 seeds were ranked from World No.7 Jo-Wilfried TSONGA through to No.48 Nikolay DAVYDENKO. The last direct acceptance into the main draw was Olivier ROCHUS of Belgium who was ranked No.107 at the cut-off date.
The Wild Cards: the three wild card recipients were two Frenchmen Paul-Henri MATHIEU and Albano OLIVETTI, plus the No.8 seed and Russian Nikolay DAVYDENKO who did not originally enter this tournament or else he would have been directly accepted.
The Qualifiers: The 32-player qualifying tournament sets the task of winning 3 best-of-three tiebreak set matches in order to qualify for the main draw. These four players who qualified were three Frenchmen Clement REIX, Kenny DE SCHEPPER and Vincent MILLOT plus German Mischa ZVEREV.
The draw for the seeded players IF they all win through to the quarter finals is:
- Jo-Wilfried TSONGA  v  Jarkko NIEMINEN
- Marcel GRANOLLERS  v [WC] Nikolay DAVYDENKO
- Andreas SEPPI  v  Florian MAYER
- Gael MONFILS  v  Philipp KOHLSCHREIBER
The 2012 Metz Open men’s singles draw is:
- Jo-Wilfried TSONGA  v BYE
- Edouard ROGER-VASSELIN v [Q] Clement REIX
- Cedrik-Marcel STEBE v Jesse LEVINE
- Jan HAJEK v [LL] Michael BERRER replaced  Nieminen
- Marcel GRANOLLERS  v BYE
- Ivo KARLOVIC v [Q] Kenny DE SCHEPPER
- Paul-Henri MATHIEU [WC] v Gilles MULLER
- Mischa ZVEREV [Q] v [WC] Nikolay DAVYDENKO
The bottom half of the draw is:
- Andreas SEPPI  v Ivan DODIG
- Igor SIJSLING v [Q] Vincent MILLOT
- Albano OLIVETTI [WC] v James BLAKE
- BYE v  Florian MAYER
- Gael MONFILS  v Olivier ROCHUS
- Nicolas MAHUT v [LL] Daniel BRANDS replaced Becker
- Xavier MALISSE v Benoit PAIRE
- BYE v  Philipp KOHLSCHREIBER
© Photo credit: Beth Wilson