The 2011 Charleston Open in the USA is a WTA Premier category tournament played on green clay courts from April 2 to 10. The official tournament name is the Family Circle Cup and the 39th year of this event is being played at the Family Circle Cup Tennis Center in Charleston, South Carolina in the USA.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage.
The centre court is has a capacity of 10,200 spectators. The total prize money for the 2011 Charleston Open tournament is 721,000 US dollars. The 8 seeds are selected according to the WTA rankings as at 21 March 2011. The Top 8 ranked players in the draw as at that date become the 8 seeds.
The 2010 Charleston Open Women’s singles champion was No.4 seed Samantha Stosur who defeated No.7 seed Vera Zvonareva in the final 6-0 6-3. The 27-year-old Stosur is pictured above in the early stages of her service action at Stanford in the USA in 2010. The 1.72m Stosur has won 2 WTA singles titles in her career, Charleston in 2010 and Osaka in 2009.
Please note that the tournament management can alter the schedule from day to day.
The WTA ranking points and prize money for the women’s tournament is awarded to the players like this:
- The winner earns 470 points + $111,000;
- The runner-up earns 320 points + $57,350;
- The two semi finalists earn 200 points + $29,250;
- The four quarter finalists earn 120 points + $15,200;
- The 8 players who lose in the round of 16 earn 60 points + $7,850;
- The 16 players who lose in the 2nd round earn 40 points + $4,000;
- The *players who lose in the 1st round earn 1 point + $2,025.
There is a 32-player qualifying draw. The 16 players who lose in the 1st round of the qualifying event earn 1 ranking point and $535. The 8 players who lose in the 2nd and final round of qualifying earn 8 ranking points plus $1,035.
*The players who qualify for the main draw and then lose the 1st round earn 12 points, whereas players, who start in the 1st round and lose their 1st match, earn just the one point. Wild Card entrants who lose in the 1st round also receive just the one point.
From the 2nd round onwards any qualifiers who win, earn the points allocated by round PLUS their 12 points for qualifying. Therefore, a qualifier who wins the 1st round of the main draw and then gets knocked out in the 2nd round earns 40 points for making the 2nd round plus 12 points for qualifying. Thus, a qualifier who loses in the round of 16 earns 52 ranking points in total.
The schedule of play for the 2011 Charleston Open Women’s Singles event is:
- Saturday 2 April: Qualifying Draw 1st round from 10am;
- Sunday 3 April: Qualifying 2nd round from 10am;
- Monday 4 April: Main Draw 1st round from 10am;
- Tuesday 5 April: 1st round from 10am;
- Wednesday 6 April: 2nd round from 10am;
- Thursday 7 April: Round of 16 from 10am;
- Friday 8 April: Quarter Finals from 10am; and
- Saturday 9 April: Semi finals from 1pm; and
- Sunday 10 April: Women’s Singles Final at 3pm.
Stay tuned to this tennis website for coverage of every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on both the WTA and ATP Tours. For details about the next Grand Slams click-> Roland Garros 2011: May 17-June 5 and Wimbledon 2011: June 13-July 3
photo credit: james.fawcette