The 2012 Casablanca Open men’s main draw singles matches begin on Monday 9 April at 11am local time in at the Complexe Sportif al Amal in Casablanca, Morocco. In this post a number of interesting facts will be provided, including how the ATP ranking points and prize money are allocated for each round and what the schedule of play is for the entire tournament.
Casablanca is an ATP Tour 250 category tournament played on clay courts from April 7 to 15. Click this link for details about how you can buy Casablanca Open Official tennis tickets and you will also find full coverage of Casablanca.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage. To watch the tennis in Singapore you need to add 8 hours to the local time in Casablanca to work out the equivalent Singapore time.
The men’s event schedule begins with the 32-player qualifying singles draw on Saturday 7 April. The Men’s Singles Final will be played on Sunday April 15. The total financial commitment for the 2012 tournament is 450,000 Euros (€), with the total prize money for the men’s singles event being € 398,250.
The 2011 Casablanca Men’s singles champion Pablo ANDUJAR is pictured above keeping his eye on the ball and swinging towards the contact point for this double-handed backhand at Wimbledon. The 1.8m right-hander won his first ATP Tour singles title at Casablanca by defeating the No.1, No.4, No.5 and No.6 seeds as an unseeded player in impressive fashion by not dropping a set.
The 26-year-old Andujar’s best Grand Slam singles results to date are four second round of appearances at Roland Garros from 2008 to 2011. He is currently ranked at No.39 just one spot below his career-high ranking thus far of No.38, which he first achieved on 19 March 2012. The Spaniard is a former World No.5 as an ITF Junior and made the 2004 Roland Garros junior singles quarter finals.
Please note that the tournament management can alter the schedule from day to day.
The ATP ranking points and prize money for the men’s tournament is awarded to the players like this:
- The winner earns 250 points + € 71,900;
- The runner-up earns 150 points + € 37,860;
- The two semi finalists earn 90 + € 20,510;
- The four quarter finalists earn 45 + € 11,685,
- The 8 players who lose in the round of 16 earn 20 + € 6,885;
- The *12 players who lose in the 1st round do NOT receive any points + € 4,080;
- The 4 players who qualify earn 12 points for qualifying;
- The 4 players who lose in the final round of qualifying earn 6 + € 660;
- The 8 players who lose in the 2nd round of qualifying receive € 315 but DO NOT earn any ranking points.
- The 16 players who lose in the 1st round of qualifying receive DO NOT receive any money and ranking points.
The schedule of play for the entire 2012 Casablanca Open men’s singles draw is:
- Saturday 7 April: Qualifying Draw 1st round from 11am;
- Sunday 8 April: Qualifying 2nd round from 11am;
- Monday 9 April: Main Draw 1st round from 11am;
- Tuesday 10 April: 1st round from 11am;
- Wednesday 11 April: 2nd round from 11am;
- Thursday 12 April: Round of 16 from 11am;
- Friday 13 April: Quarter Finals from 11am;
- Saturday 14 April: Semi Finals back-to-back from 1pm; and
- Sunday 15 April: Men’s Singles Finals at 2pm;
*The points awarded to a 1st round loser vary according to how they were allocated a place in the 1st round.
Did you know that if any of the 4 seeded players who lose their first match after being given a bye into the 2nd round are treated as a 1st round loser for ranking points allocation purposes i.e. they receive do NOT receive any points for losing their first match.
OnCourt Advantage supplies all the details YOU need to make it easy to follow tennis, get your tennis tickets and watch men’s and women’s professional tennis on the WTA, ATP Tour and for each Grand Slam tournament all year round.
photo credit: Carine06